Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Damn, Now He's BLOGGING TOO?!?

Yep. I'm going to skip the novella-length e-mails, and go all SHIZ on you folks. For the unititiated, that's Steve and Heather's family blog (Steve, Heather, Issie, Zane, and no clue what its name will morph into when Jax arrives). Technically, I was blogging first, but that's just petty, and you can't do petty to a 39-weeks pregnant woman. You are a better blogger than me, anyway, Heather. I can only pull off my own voice; you do 4. You are the Jim Henson of the blogosphere.

We sit less than 2 weeks away from the Men's Health Urbanathlon. This is the 12-mile obstacle course I'm running on October 17th. I literally CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT for this race. I did a 12-week training program, also from Men's Health magazine, to prepare, and I'm almost down to my college weight, complete with the beginnings of actually visual abs. Damn straight I'm bragging.

Blame Steve. Last, what, Thanksgiving, Steve? We went on a 4-mile "fun run" together. Steve decided he had to SPRINT the last 1/2 mile, then talk smack the rest of the weekend when he left me behind. Hell, he's like 3 inches taller than me, and it's all in his legs...he's like a gazelle when he strides out. Screw that; he pretty much beat EVERY SINGLE athletic accomplishment of mine through high school. He will SO not be a better runner than me.

THEN Kristin decides SHE has to run a half-marathon, just cuz. Rock on, big sister!!!

So it was either do this Urbanathlon or learn how to swim and become a triathlete. And, in a quirk of genetics, I don't float (I swear the previous sentence is 100% true). So obstacle course run it is.

Anyone else see the word "obstacle" and think of John Tuturro from O Brother, Where Art Thou? "Ob'-sta-culs"

ANYWAY...

As a result of that training program, I'm running...less, ironically enough. I work out 3 days a week (theorhetically), and run 3 days. Which means 2 workouts, 3 runs. The workouts are circuit training, which apparently is French for "make everything hurt, all at once." I am FLYING on my run days, though. I ran 4 miles yesterday, and my AVERAGE mile was under 8 minutes. Saturday was an 11.5 mile run, and average mile was around 8:15. Sub-2:00 half-marathon, YOU ARE MINE!

Hang on. Just heard the beginning of Joe's song, "Jump" by Van Halen, and he's RIGHT: I TOTALLY thought of The Lead Off Man!!!!

More to come after the (shorter) long run this weekend. Tapering down for the race next Saturday.

BLOG WRITTEN WHILE LISTENING TO: "Still Unbroken", Lynnard Skynnard, "I'm Alive", Kenny Chesney and DMB, "Jump", Van Halen

1 comment:

Little Bro said...

I'd like to point out the smack talk didn't come until we were all home and an old roommate ripped me for only running 3.5 miles while my brother was in double digits. That's when I simply mentioned the last 1/2 mile of our run. Great job big brother but I don't ever plan on becoming a long distance runner. I'm struggling right now to simply workout with the travel and the little ones.

On a separate note, my bad on the Suzane Vega/Sinead mix up and I'm thinking that in honor of our mother some Tina Turner should be on the playlist. (Can't you picture her cleaning house to it) Or we could always go with 2 Legit to Quit.