Saturday, August 23, 2008

Saturday morning

TODAY'S RUN: 11.35 miles

I rolled out of bed at 6:15 on a Saturday morning, feeling great about the early start to my weekend. There's just something about coming home after a long run, and knowing that I still have the entire day in front of me. Then I pulled into the parking lot, and saw the car of a friend of mine who also runs. Nothing like feeling all Type A and running smack into Type A+.

Long runs are a bit of a challenge for me. I can't run in my neighborhood, because it's too bounded by busy streets. Going to Shelby Farms means I either run off into nowhere, or run a 2.75 mile loop, which is perilously close to what I call "gerbil running", which is track/treadmill running. I physically cannot do gerbil running; either my stride is all wrong for a treadmill, or I quit the track because I'm never further than 1/4 mile from my starting point. So off I go, on the paved trails with the early-morning walkers, which is rather annoying, since they tend to walk 3-across and are oblivious to any other forms of life, including runners behind them. Then again, at least one member of the group typically carries either a walking stick, a golf club, or a spiked mace, so hey, spread out!

My long runs take on a Walter Mitty-esque feel after about 3 miles. I think I've won every game, finished every race, hit every pitch, made every shot, in every event I can think of, by about mile 7. If that makes no sense to you, please read "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," which is probably one of the five best short stories I have ever read. Yes, I can name the other 4, just FYI, Steve.

The begging for money e-mail is in draft iteration #6, which is to say it is a work in progress. I'm sure, in the present economic situation, you are all awaiting THAT piece of ...mail...with baited breath. Just know that reading this and commenting is support, just like a tax-deductible donation. Seriously. And if nothing else, your eyes will get a workout, from all the rolling they do whenever you read something I write.

LISTENING TO: "Lose Yourself", Eminem. Yes, trite, I know, but it's one of the best songs to run to I can find.

NIKE+ MILES 2008: 367.53

Until next week, my wonderful and faithful reader (hey, Steve's the only one to post a comment, and, well, just go ahead and read it)

peace love happiness,
Tom
2T4:7

No comments: