Sunday, August 31, 2008

Trying to muddle through...

Most recent run: 11.55 miles

Yes, I know, it's been over a week. To quote Robbie Benson in a very forgettable version of the play Our Town, "Yes, but I had reasons...reasons..."

Sad week here for me at CBHS. One of my favorite graduates from the Class of 2006 passed away. Could it be worse? Yep, I have his younger brother in my Homeroom & 2nd period classes. Okay, let's move on...

That long run on Saturday was...interesting. Connie, the kids, & I decamped to "the lake" for a few days over the long weekend. Connie's folks, for those not in the know, have a small home at Horseshoe Lake, just across the Mississippi River, in Arkansas. It's nice, because it's close (less than 1 HR drive), and Connie's folks have invested most of the money there in the toys on the water, not the house next to it. The pollen, however, is NOT NICE, NOT NICE AT ALL, for those of us with allergies. Oh, and I now know why Connie has a rational, but nevertheless scary, fear of wasps. Those suckers are quick, and they HURT. Got stung (bitten? Can I get a ruling on that one?) on consecutive days, in almost the exact same spot. I guess my right calf is just nirvana to wasps.

The run itself was rather peaceful, consisting mostly of me jogging next to harvested fields of...something that was green before harvest (yep, city folk here), trying to finish my run before the weekly "burning of the trash" began, and waving hello at the mostly older men driving past on their way to...wherever country folk go at 6:30 AM on a Saturday. The back half of my 11.55 mile run took me "around the bottom of the lake", which is NOT the curved part of the horseshoe (yep, it's not just a catchy name), but rather the open end. Rather Deliverance-y houses, including my turn-around point, which my mother-in-law described as "the little white church."

Right, THAT was a church. If this boarded-window, peeling-paint thing was still a church, I'm not sure I want to know what/who is being worshiped there. I narrowed it down to Baal, Shiva, or that ridiculous horned thing Tom Cruise fought in Legend. Let's just say the pace kicked up a tad near there. Oh stop complaining, you've seen Legend. Still arguing? Google it. Try "Tom Cruise unicorn film." I'll wait...

SEE?!? TOLD ya!!!

By the way, if you're reading this, I take it you got the goofy "gimme money" e-mail, version 1.0. I really would appreciate comments. I know we all are hurting financially , so what could be more fun than being encouraged to mock me with impunity? As a bonus, everyone who comments gets to suggest a relative that I shall mock without reservation in a subsequent posting.

Hope everyone had fun at Kristin's little shindig on Sunday. It's nice to get those invites, or e-vites, just to feel like a real live member of the clan.

LISTENING TO: "Roll Me Away" & "Against the Wind", Bob Seger. Always good to channel that inner Gump. "I was running..."

That's all for now. Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

peace love happiness,
Tom
2T4:7

1 comment:

Mom said...

You are sooo funny.

Mom